Rwanda is one of the smallest countries in Africa, in the African Great Lakes region and bordering Burundi and Uganda among other nations. With an estimated population of 12 million, the country’s main ethnic groups are the Hutu, Tutsi, and Pygmy (Twa). As a result of European colonization, the governments and policies since independence tended to favor one ethnic group over the other, resulting in a horrific civil war and genocide in the early 1990s, where Hutu extremists are believed to have killed 500,000 to 1 million Tutsis and moderate Hutu.
Rwanda placed huge emphasis on cultural and social recovery after the genocide, emphasizing governing mechanisms that prohibit classification by race or ethnic group, as well as enacting laws criminalizing genocide ideologies. Women’s empowerment has also played a significant role in its continuing development.
Rwanda’s economy is still recovering from the ravages of both the genocide, as well as the 2008 global recession. The economy is based mostly on subsistence farming, but coffee and tea are major exports, where the country’s high altitudes make for favorable growing conditions.
|April 2||Good Friday|
|April 7||Tutsi Genocide Memorial Day|
|May 1||Labor Day|
|May 3||Labor Day observed|
|May 13||Eid al-Fitr|
|July 1||Independence Day|
|July 4||Liberation Day|
|July 5||Liberation Day observed|
|August 6||Umuganura Day|
|August 15||Assumption of Mary|
|August 16||Assumption of Mary observed|
|December 25||Christmas Day|
|December 26||Boxing Day|
|December 27||Christmas Day observed|
|December 27||Boxing Day observed|
- Limited Liability
- Corporate Tax: 30%
- Income Tax (Lowest Marginal Rate): 0%
- Income Tax (Highest Marginal Rate): 30%
- VAT/GST/Sales Tax: 18%
- Access Bank Rwanda (Commercial Bank)
- Bank of Kigali (Commercial Bank)
- Banque Populaire du Rwanda SA (Commercial Bank)
- Commercial Bank of Rwanda (Commercial Bank)
- Compagnie Générale de Banque (Commercial Bank)
- Diamond Trust Bank Group (Commercial Bank)
- Ecobank Rwanda (Commercial Bank)
- Guaranty Trust Bank (Rwanda) (Commercial Bank)
- Housing Bank of Rwanda (Commercial Bank)
- KCB Rwanda (Commercial Bank)
- United Bank for Africa (Commercial Bank)
- Urwego Opportunity Bank (Commercial Bank)
Aadmi can support you with your expansion to Rwanda. Our team of experts in country manage every aspect of your expansion from incorporation, accounting, legal, and even administrative concerns. Matched with Global People Strategist’s powerful labor compliance software, your company is in good hands.
Contact us today for more information about how your company can benefit from using Aadmi as your global expansion partner.