Guyana Culture, Geography, and Economy
This former British colony is the only English-speaking country in South America, located between Suriname and Venezuela on the north coast of the continent. Guyana has a diverse population which includes descendants of Indian, African, Amerindian, and multiracial groups. The largest ethnic group are the Indo-Guyanese, who are the descendants of indentured laborers brought over from India during the colonial era.
Guyana has one of the largest unspoiled rainforests in South America, inhabited by rare species such as the giant otter and harpy eagle. It is rich in natural resources such as rich reserves of bauxite, gold and timber and its sugar industry accounts for almost 30% of its national wealth. The major sports in Guyana are cricket (team is part of the West Indies national side), basketball, football, and volleyball.
|March 28||Phagwah (Holi)|
|April 2||Good Friday|
|April 5||Easter Monday|
|May 1||Labor Day / May Day|
|May 5||Arrival Day|
|May 26||Independence Day|
|July 5||CARICOM Day|
|July 20||Eid ul Adha|
|August 1||Emancipation Day|
|August 2||Day off for Emancipation Day|
|October 19||Youman-Nabi (Mawlid)|
|December 25||Christmas Day|
|December 26||Boxing Day|
|December 27||Day off for Boxing Day|
- Limited Liability
- Corporate Tax: 30%
- Income Tax (Lowest Marginal Rate): N/A
- Income Tax (Highest Marginal Rate): 33⅓%
- VAT/GST/Sales Tax: 16% (standard rate), 0% (reduced rate)
- Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited (Commercial Bank)
- Guyana Bank for Trade & Industry Limited (Commercial Bank)
- Bank of Nova Scotia (Commercial Bank)
- Citizens Bank Guyana Inc. (Commercial Bank)
- Demerara Bank Limited (Commercial Bank)
- Excel Capital Inc (Commercial Bank)
- Bank of Baroda (Guyana) Inc. (Foreign Bank)
Aadmi can support you with your expansion to Guyana. Our team of experts in country manage every aspect of your expansion from incorporation, accounting, legal, and even administrative concerns. Matched with Global People Strategist’s powerful labor compliance software, your company is in good hands.
Contact us today for more information about how your company can benefit from using Aadmi as your global expansion partner.